With war around every corner, how will you handle the future?

HomeCalendarPortalFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» Romance Unaware
Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:09 pm by Jinkx

» First Impressions [Mizumi]
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:25 pm by Strix Blackblade

» Attacked by...love? (Zeth and Melane)
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 am by Zeth

» Things have Changed.(Ishia)
Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:06 pm by Mizumi

» Ragnell - Zeth's blade
Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:32 am by Luna

» Love is in the air
Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:24 am by Luna

» Try Try Try Again
Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:01 pm by Jinkx

» Events!
Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 pm by Moriarty

» Site Updates
Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:54 pm by Luna

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 41 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Share | 

Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Melanie Rachael Havnos

PostSubject: Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)   Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Melanie had become well-known for her occupation by now. The girl who'd retrieve just about anything for a little cash; no matter the danger. Part of her personal moral code was that she never questioned why they needed what they asked for. That wasn't part of the deal. She retrieved it, they paid her, she handed it over. It was simple and clean. She had become so well-known by now that people would actually seek her out, specifically. This was one of those times...

It was early morning when Melanie received a knock on the door. Melanie was already awake, but had yet to put on her make-up. She groaned at the fact that anyone would see her without make-up on but answered the door. It was the messenger. He'd go from place to place delivering letters; most often by horse. Melanie didn't get letters often at all, so this was quite surprising. She thanked him and closed the door in his face.

The letter was addressed to: "Melanie Havnos". They knew her name and her address. Melanie was unnerved by this. She didn't have any friends really. Who would know this about her and go out of their way to send her a letter? Unable to hold back her curiosity, she opened it and began to read.

"Dear Melanie,
I have heard of your accomplishments in the field of item-retrieval and wanted to seek you out for a possible business arrangement. I would like to meet you in the city of Jenar on the morning of no moon just before sunrise. There is a breakfast eatery called 'Sally's Sunrise' that is open at that hour when most places aren't. Meet me there. This job, while dangerous, has a reward of 10,000 gold. More will be explained about the job's specifics at the arranged meeting place. I hope to see you there.

Sincerely, Calvin Essingwary"

"Ten-thousand gold?!" Melanie exclaimed to herself. Something felt fishy here. This was either a really hard job or that item really was important. It could potentially be the latter, she considered. I mean, after all, they did go through all the trouble to track her down for the job. But even so, 10,000 was more than any other job had offered her in the past. At least triple the amount. It could support her for at least six months. Maybe as much as a year and a half if she budgeted well. "What's there to lose really, right? I should at least go to hear what he has to say. I can always turn it down after hearing more information. Besides, if it were a trap of some sort, he wouldn't want it to take place in a public place like an eatery, but rather in the woods or a park. So I don't think I need to be worried about being jumped. Just incase though, like always, I'll bring my weapons with me. Afterall, I may want to set off on the mission right after we talk about it; depending on what it is."

Melanie reread the letter carefully. "No moon. That would be tomorrow morning. Either this letter took forever to get to me, or this man is very eager to get this item. I'm quite curious what it is, actually." She folded the letter and placed it back inside the envelope. She would take it with her when she went to go meet him. She also decided to dress up for it slightly. Make-up and a nice formal dress. Then again, she dressed up for just about everything. Including some feeding sessions alone in the woods sometimes. She deduced that wasn't smart though as it was very probable some blood would get on the clothes and stain them. She still risked it from time to time though.

It was the next morning as she entered Jenar. She was a little early, but not by much. She entered the eatery and a man at a corner table waved her over. "I'm so glad you decided to show. Please, have a seat." Melanie did as instructed, gracefully.

"So you're Calvin?" she inquired. He replied with a simple nod. As Melanie got a better look at the man, something seemed a little off. She sensed it with her Vampire ability. It detects body language and she was sensing from the very start that he was trying to hide something. It unnerved her. "Ten-thousand gold?" she asked for confirmation. "Yes, although none of the money will be paid up front. Once I see you have the sword with you, then I will hand over the money, and finally you will hand over the sword. No money will leave my hands before I see prove that you've obtained it. But in the same line of logic, I don't expect you to give up the sword without receiving the cash first." He explained calmly in a quiet tone. "Sound fair?"

"It's a sword you want? Not an item?" Melanie asked, surprised. It was the first time anyone had requested a full completed item from her before. Until then it was always a raw material or a magical crystal. Something the person would then manipulate and refine to create something else with. Melanie saw no reason why she couldn't locate a certain sword for the man though. Especially for ten-thousand gold. She read in his body language that the money did exist, at least. He was hiding something, but that didn't seem to be it. "Is that an issue?" he asked curiously. Melanie thought about it a moment longer. "No, it shouldn't be. So what does it look like? Does it have a name? An ability? Where might I find it? And what makes it worth that much money?"

The man shifted in his seat now that the conversation went from if she would accept to having accepted. "Erien is its name. The Rapier of Air. It has the power to slice through air with no resistance and can manipulate air to blow gusts of wind at opponents; potentially knocking them over." "Really?" Melanie questioned in doubt. "You want a sword that knocks people over with a gust of wind for ten-thousand gold. You can find a lot better weapons than that!" she glanced at her own scythe beside her which was emanating its typical soft shadows. It was barely noticeable in it's passive state, especially when you stayed within its sphere of influence long enough. Even this scythe's power sounded more useful than blowing someone over with air, she thought. "So you won't retrieve it for me?" he wasn't going to explain his reasoning. She realized that. It made her suspicious but his reasoning didn't really matter. It was just a sword. It didn't seem that powerful where giving it to the wrong person would be too detrimental. And like Melanie could pass up on ten-thousand gold on such an easy job. "No, I'm in. Just... what's the catch?"

"It has an owner. A Changeling. He's a Hunter by profession. Sells the furs and parts for money to live. In a way, it's a similar profession as your own. Except, he kills things for a living and you target inanimate objects. He tends to be a little predictable with his Hunting locations as he follows the animals. I have a map of his most frequent spots and the types of animals in each location. Hopefully, that might help you in some way. Obviously, he will not take kindly to you taking his weapon. And he is no stranger to fighting. I suggest you do this at night either when he's asleep or away. If you can avoid detection entirely, that would be most preferable. Once you have located the Rapier, you will meet me here the following morning, at the same time as today. That's when we will make our exchange." Melanie thought about it all as she took the map from him and pocketed it. She'd examine it later.

After a moment, she nodded and stood from the table. "Give it two weeks, then add in traveling time. I'll have the sword for you by then at the very latest." "And I, the money." "See you around..." Melanie waved and walked out of 'Sally's Sunrise'. She opened the map and began to take in the possible locations she should check out to find this Changeling Hunter.

"That was a little too easy..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ishia Oteara

PostSubject: Re: Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)   Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Ishia was busying himself with his pelts and furs in Jenar the day before Melanie's meeting. It was still early in the day, too early for him to have anything ready for sale yet, but he was setting out his furs and pelts for those who liked to window shop. He took his time on that, letting the passerby people see his common furs. His exotic stock was kept in the back of the store, and weren't accessible to everyone yet, but his common and slightly pricier wares were set up either in front of the counter or even on the wooden display in front of the store. He was just about to finish up outside when he was tapped on the shoulder. He whirled around, hand on Erien, and looked at the person who surprised him. The man, slightly taller than him, with casual dark clothes had his hands in the air as if to signal "I'm not her to fight". Ishia relaxed and cracked a smile. "What can I do for you today, sir? As you can see, i'm not open yet, but I can show you what I have," Ishia said lightly, his surprise all but vanished. The man took a moment to think it over and then said, "Actually, what interests me is a pelt you don't have in stock. Do you think we could speak inside?" Ishia nodded and led the man to the counter, where Ishia could lean up against it.

"So, is this a stocking order? Or will it be a..... personal order? Ishia asked lightheartedly. He liked taking these kinds of requests since it sometimes challenged him. But it also let him scout new hunting grounds, which was always something he wanted to do. The man looked at Ishia and said, "It's definitely a personal order. I doubt you want to try to stock this kind of pelt on a regular basis." Ishia's ears perked at this. So it WAS going to be a challenge. "As for the request, i'd like to request a forest panther pelt of great quality, preferably male. You see, it's not for me, but for one of the Lords I am vassal to." The man looked slightly cowed at the mention of his status, but Ishia wasn't concerned about that. "A PANTER PELT!? seriously?" That was indeed VERY dangerous. Something Ishia had yet to even attempt. IT was going to take some convincing to get him to do this. "Well then. You were right in the fact that wouldn't want to stock too regularly. So I assume you know that a commission like that will cost a bit?" Ishia was being joking vocally, but was dead serious on the pricing issue. Something that dangerous needed a substantial reward. However, the man only smiled at the mention of pricing, and started fishing in his pockets. "My lord has prepared to give you a sum of 8000 gold, half of which will be paid up front. The rest will be paid when the pelt is shown and sold." The man finally pulled out a pouch that jingled with money.

Ishia didn't need to count how much was in there to know it was there. "8000 gold could set me up very nicely. Maybe even help furnish this place out a little more, or even buy it rather than rent it!" Ishia got excited and blurt out, "How soon do you need this pelt? Please keep in mind that you need to factor in travel time, stalking, tr...." Ishia closed his mouth. He didn't need his client to know his process of hunting. But the man smiled again, not looking phased by what was said, or in the haste it was said. "We are not looking for you to hurt yourself in this endeavor, so my lord has instructed me to tell you that you have as much time as you need, if you accept. However, my lord likes to be surprised, so if you can procure it rather quickly, he may give you a bonus as well as a return of his services." Ishia didn't need to hear anything else. He quickly jumped up and started gathering his things. "So you accept the job?" The man asked with a smile. Ishia nodded his head and turned away to collect some things from the back display. He might as well take several pelts with him for sales he figured. He heard the money pouch hit the counter with a clink and then a shuffle of feet. Ishia turned quickly to look at the man and said, "Give me the day to prepare, two more for travel, and I might be able to get it within the week." The man turned and flashed another smile. "Splendid. I will be back in one weeks time then to see if your shop is open." With that, the man walked out of the store and once out of earshot breathed deeply. It was all according to plan...

Ishia had closed shop early that day, eager to get his supplies and go. He would be off soon, but he was making a check of things he had. Erien, naturally, and a pack with several furs. Of course, there was the extra food and water, fire starter, and map, but he wasn't too worried. He knew the route since he'd been to the forest before, but that was on racial business. Since he was one of the few Changelings that lived with Humans, he was called to discuss it several times. However, this was new. This was a hunt. He bristled with anticipation as he thought about it. This close to the gate, his feral side was starting to show a little, but he reminded himself not to get hasty. As it was, he could have overlooked the need for several torches and a tent for the camp he'd make when he got there. He sighed and laughed. "Come on Ishia, let's do this." he said to himself, stepping out of the gate that led from Jenar. He had to walk out a ways before he could change, as seeing a Changeling change was still something Humans weren't used to. He was slightly upset though, since him changing with all this gear on him would effect his own coat. He like the way his coat looked without all the extra burden of weapon or pack, and since his clothes didn't effect the fur, he was fine with it. But, it was a necessary evil this time. Soon, Ishia was out of site and changed into his bobcat form and loped his way to the forest.

It was several days later when Ishia came to the spot where he'd pitch his tent. He unpacked quickly, desperate to get on with the hunt. No doubt he would need Erien in the end, but he wasn't hunting it yet. No, he was just finding it and observing it. And since it was morning when he made camp, he would have all day to observe. He took his time with the tent, however, since it would be easy to screw up, but soon enough it was up and ready for the rest of the supplies. He threw his pack, now devoid of furs, and Erien into it and got ready for the prowl. He kept a hunting dagger on him, just in case he made a kill, but he doubted it. Without another thought, Ishia transformed and slunk into the woods, desperate to get this over with.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ffworld.darkbb.com/
Melanie Rachael Havnos

PostSubject: Re: Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)   Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Melanie's scythe brought a shadow to the woods that was otherwise lit by the rising sun. The unnatural shadow aided her as she kept to the natural shadows of the trees, stealthily making her way into the depths of the Changeling's territory. She reminded herself where she was and that animals here might not simply be animals. It was something to consider. It made everything much more of a potential threat. Simply being unable to accurately detect the difference meant she had to assume everything here was a Changeling; as improbable, and almost impossible, as that was.

Eventually, she came upon a tent in the distance. It looked as though it was assembled with care. She figured this meant one of three things: A, the person planned on staying a while. B, the person wasn't too familiar with setting up a tent and wanted to do it well. C, they were a perfectionist. Perhaps it was all of the above. One thing was for sure though... they weren't home. And they left before building any campfire. Perhaps that suggested they didn't plan to stay long after-all. Or perhaps they had left to gather wood.

Melanie scanned the area carefully and noticed Human tracks turn to animal tracks in the process of leaving the campsite. They appeared recent. Recent enough to have been made within the last ten minutes even. She figured that gave her time yet to search the camp without being caught by the owner. Gathering wood, hunting, searching for a source of water, all were tasks that would likely take approximately twenty to thirty minutes. She assumed the track-maker to be the owner of the tent as the Human tracks could be seen around the tent pegs; likely from when they were setting up the tent earlier.

Then Melanie noticed something, in the shade of the tent, between the cracks of the flaps, there was a blade. A sword. Could this really be that easy? It made Melanie a little unnerved. Was that really the sword she was looking for? She had to check it out.

Melanie crossed into the tent briskly, keeping to cover as much as possible. Once inside, she saw the sword better. It, indeed, matched description. This was Erien. She snatched it; using the strap below her left arm against her body as a sort of make-shift sheath. She then rummaged through the pack left behind by the owner. She found some preserved food for long distance travel, and a canteen filled with a liquid. She was in too much of a rush to check what kind. From the remaining contents, it seemed as though he wasn't entirely a combat oriented individual. He owned this powerful sword, for sure, but there were no other weapons. No armor. No notes or letters to indicate some sort of authority or position of leadership or military ranking. She wondered just how much of a fight she would have on her hands should she encounter them. She shook off the thought, pocketed the canteen and food in her own backpack, and started out of the tent. The air was chilly. That was odd, it wasn't as chilly before. Was it that the wind picked up slightly? Perhaps it was a minor effect of the sword. Melanie wasn't sure. Regardless, she took the same precautions leaving as she did coming, sticking to the shadows, her scythe slightly aiding her as she progressed. Finally, she had made it out of camp. Melanie drew a deep breath of relief at that as she glanced back at it in the distance. There was no indication anyone had seen her.

As she turned back around though, she exhaled a long sigh. Before her was a bobcat. Her eyes dropped to its feet. It matched the feline tracks she saw earlier. She knew instantly between the look on it's face and the paws, this was the owner of the camp she just raided. It had seemed to appear out of nowhere, but Melanie knew that wasn't true. She was distracted by the camp. She was foolish to think that once she left the immediate area, she'd be safe. Her senses were all focused behind her, not in front of her. But how had it found her? Was it merely by accident? It must've been. There was no way they could've known she was a thief before they encountered her. There just wasn't the time to find the belongings missing and catch up to her; besides, the positioning was all wrong. No, it was either heading back to camp and happened upon her, or noticed the increase in shadows thanks to her scythe, smelled her scent from the increase in wind, maybe a combination of them all.

It was no time to consider how or why right now though. She faced someone she knew was going to keep her from completing a job worth a lot of money. She wasn't going to let that slip away without a fight. She drew her scythe, readying it to defend herself if necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ishia Oteara

PostSubject: Re: Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)   Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:41 am

Finding the prey wasn't a problem, it seemed. On the contrary, he found one not even five minutes out. He was shocked, they were said to be more towards the inner forest than the edges, but it seems that this one liked hunting new grounds. He quickly shifted into his fox form, trying to keep to the shadows so he wouldn't be so easily seen. While it was a highly trained natural killer, the panther was still, after all, limited by its senses. So for a few minutes, he observed the panther and committed its gait and sensory cues to memory. It would be no mean feat to take it down, and he was infinitely grateful he brought Erien with him for this hunt. After another minute, the panther found a nice sunbathing spot. And if he knew panthers like he did other felines, it would stay there for a time. Maybe, the thought, he could catch it napping and avoid startling it at all. Satisfied, he decided to make his way back to camp, maybe even hunt on his way back for some food tonight, since it was so easy to find a panther.

While he was stalking a rabbit, he crossed the same path he used to get to his camp. He grinned a toothy grin and thought to himself. "Man, today must be very good to me." He crossed and continued to stalk his prey. a few seconds later, he caught a whiff of a familiar scent. He couldn't think of who it could be for a moment, but then one scent of the trail caught his attention, and he remembered where he had smelled it before. Melanie, the Vampire from when he found Mizumi! The trail wasn't even old. "She just recently come by here" Smiling to himself, he quickly trotted up towards the camp, happy to see the Vampire.

When he neared the tent, he found that there was a slight mist coming from around a female, or what he thought was actually the scythe. However, on closer inspection, there was something tucked her arm. Almost immediately he recognized Erien, and shifted to his bobcat form. He prowled up quietly and got close to the person. It was Melanie alright. But what saw she doing with his weapon? Why was she stealing it? He quickly froze as she turned around and looked at him. It looked like she was upset at his appearance, and apparently for obvious reasons. of course, all he did was cock his head slightly, tying to figure out why she wanted Erien. After a few moments, Ishia watched as she started to draw the scythe, almost as if she was ready to fight. Concerned, Ishia transformed quickly. "What is the meaning of this, Melanie? Why are you here? And why do you have Erien?" Ishia said with concern oozing from his voice. He went to grab for Erien at his waist, even though he knew it wasn't there, and continued the motion to behind his back, drawing out his hunting knife and holding it in a defensive stance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ffworld.darkbb.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)   

Back to top Go down

Erien: The Rapier of Air (Ishia)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1